Materia comes in the form of 5 different types of glowing orbs – color-coded for your convenience – that can be equipped to your party’s weapons and armor to give your team different spells, buffs, abilities, and perks.
- Magic materia lets you cast spells.
- Support Materia is meant to be combined with other materia in order to give it different effects.
- Command Materia gives you various new abilities that don’t require MP, such as Assess or Steal.
- Complete Materia provides buffs and stat increases.
- Summoning materia lets you bring beasts into battle to unleash some seriously powerful attacks.
How to Get Materia
When you start out, Cloud has Magic Materia (Fire, specifically) already equipped. After making your way out of the Mako Factory, Jessie will hand you some Magic Materia but from then on it’s on you. Here’s how to get more Materia:
- Explore every nook and cranny and to find more. Here’s where you can find it:
- Buy more Materia at shops and vending machines
- Unlock even more by completing Chadley’s Battle Intel quests.
- Pursue side quests and challenges (Winning the dart minigame can land you some Materia!).
- Keep an eye out for it as you progress through the story.
From additional attacks to basic buffs, Materia gives you more to work with in battle so you’ll want to be draped in it.
- Always equip a lot of Materia.
- Weapons and Armor have slots for Materia but the number of slots varies from item to item.
- Be on the lookout for extra Materia slots when upgrading a weapon, too – the Buster Sword eventually gets the option for another.
- How weapons or armor change a character’s stats should always be considered, but understand there’s value in an extra Materia slot. Materia lets you get creative and cover more weaknesses, making items like the Star Bracelet a bit more appealing.
- You can equip multiple of the same Purple Complete Materia, like MP UP, to gain the benefits of both. Look for this language in the description to know which can be stacked.
- Pay attention to Materia slots that are linked. These are the only slots that facilitate Blue Support Materia, like Magnify, which increases the range of spells. To gain the benefit of Support materia, it must be linked to another materia when slotted.
Leveling Up Materia
The other reason you always want to have as much materia equipped as possible is because Materia gains ability points with every battle as long as it’s slotted on an active character – it doesn’t even have to be used. This improves materia to make it more powerful and effective.
Choosing and Changing Your Materia
Once you get the Assess Materia you can use the Assess Ability to learn enemy weaknesses. Unfortunately, you’re unable to change materia mid-battle, but building up your Enemy Intel will come in handy so that you can go into battles with the right Materia equipped. And, worst-case scenario, if you get a game over or restart you’ll respawn right before the battle that whooped you, so you can always swap Materia to your advantage and avenge your own death with your newfound knowledge.
Use your party wisely by selecting different Materia across them, that way you don’t end up with nothing but Fire Spells ready to go. You’ll also want to consider which character you’re choosing. For ex. Auto-Cure Materia works best when set on a character you have little interest in controlling because it will only activate when the player is not controlling that character. Conversely, Deadly Dodge Materia can be great for the player you prefer to control because it adds area damage after dodging.
Be sure to check out Materia Guide and List to make sure you don’t miss any.
Link Source: Click Here