New expansion sets have been revealed for the LEGO Super Mario line of toys, coming from January 2021.
The first major expansion is the Master Your Adventure Maker Set, which is described as a “creative toolbox” that will allow users to completely customize the platforming experience of LEGO Super Mario. The set comes with three new special bricks and a Start Pipe that will “shuffle the known rules of the level play,” adding time-based variables and other rewards.[ignvideo url=”https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/11/17/lego-super-mario-series-2-expansion-sets-trailer”]
As well as the Maker kit, there are also three more standard expansions, the Chain Chomp Jungle Encounter, Piranha Plant Puzzling Challenge and the Wiggler’s Poison Swamp kit, which draft in new enemies and puzzle pieces from the Super Mario games for children to play with.
On top of the expansion sets, a set of two new Power-Up Packs will be available, allowing Mario to dress up in a Penguin and a Tanooki suit. A new series of Character Packs featuring new enemies from Mario lore will also be made available. LEGO Super Mario will be able to slide on his belly as Penguin Mario or complete his famous air-spin as Tanooki Mario. All of the new content will interface with the old sets and the LCD screens and speakers present on the LEGO Mario figure, which brings the plumber to life as he bounds between bricks.
Here’s how much every set will cost upon launch:
- LEGO Super Mario Master Your Adventure Maker Set (366 Pieces) 59.99 USD/EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Chain Chomp Jungle Encounter Expansion Set (160 Pieces) 19.99 USD/ 24.99 EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Piranha Plant Puzzling Challenge Expansion Set (267 Pieces) 29.99 USD/EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Wiggler’s Poison Swamp Expansion Set (374 Pieces) 39.99 USD/EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Penguin Mario Power-Up Pack (18 Pieces) 9.99 USD/EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Tanooki Mario Power-Up Pack (13 Pieces) 9.99 USD/EUR
- LEGO Super Mario Character Packs – Series 2 4.99 USD/3.99 EUR
You can see the new expansion sets in action as part of this promotional YouTube video from The LEGO Group, which lists a January 2021 release window for the new content. Here’s our take on the first wave of LEGO Super Mario toys. The collaboration is great, once it clicks![poilib element=”accentDivider”]